Everywhere means something to someone. You don't have to own it, or even see it everyday, for a place, and its stories to be important to you. The Spirit of Place Project will zoom in past the grid reference on the map that is our town to explore and celebrate this place close up - the people, the places, the language, the legends – all the aspects that impart our town with its unique and distinct identity.
Spirit of Place
SPIRIT OF PLACE PROJECT - Tuam, Co. Galway, Ireland
Not-for-profit group wish to create and maintain the connections with the place we live in. We would like the townspeople to co-create the content via a website (domain = mycommunity - not live yet). Everyone will have the chance to upload their own A-Z of Tuam as well as enter significant dates or events in Tuam's history.
People can upload text, music, video clip etc.
Layout should be similar to:
with search boxes on the left side for A-Z and for specific dates. Right hand side of page should have space for featured contributions. No coding required.
Everywhere means something to someone. You don't have to own it, or even see it everyday, for a place, and its stories to be important to you. The combination of commonplace histories and ordinary nature makes places what they are. Things do not have to be spectacular, rare or endangered for people to value them and want them about their everyday lives.
The aim of Tuam Spirit of Place Project is to zoom in past the grid reference on the map that is Tuam in order to explore and celebrate this place close up - the people, the places, the language, the legends – all the aspects that impart Tuam with its unique and distinct identity.
With input and collaboration from as many people as possible we will collectively weave the fabric that is Tuam, the old threads side by side with the new. We hope that the unfolding story will preserve the stories from the past, reveal new curiosities, give a home to the ordinary and provide guidance to policy makers and town developers to incorporate the spirit of place into their decision-making. Here is wikipedia entry for Tuam:
Our aim after Phase1 of the website is to convert the co-created knowledge into the following outputs - Dictionary, Book of Folklore, CD of local music, etc...
There may be other aspects that you need to know so please ask any questions you may have before commencing your work and I will reply quickly. Thanks for your interest in this contest!
- web 2.0
- clean & crisp - abstract design preferred
- easy to navigate - tabs are Home, About, Login, Contribute, Guestbook
- 2 links at bottom - 'contact' and 'legal'
- a-z search on left hand side
- a-z detailed seach should show CATEGORY in addition to Contributer's name, Letter, etc as entries will be sorted by Person, Culture, Folklore ...
- search calendar showing 1 month view with left/right navigation to scroll between months. Click on a date will show special events on that day for all years.
- want to use clustrmap on home page to see where visitors are located
- want to have tag cloud on home page to see most common terms entered
- Celtic imagery
- real life images of people or places
- no cartoon images