1. Sites I kind of like:
- http://mailchimp.com is similar in that they have a public site as well as an app to log into. I like the fact that they create a persona with their mascot. They have a bit too much color for me... remember, I dig white space.
- http://brightkite.com isn't bad. It's not terribly unique, but it's compact and unobtrusive.
2. Sites I like a little more
- http://basecamphq.com is minimalistic and it works well, especially the top third. I don't care for the black header (remember, warm and inviting), but they aren't afraid of white space.
- http://chargify.com makes good use of space, they broadcast exactly what their service does, and that call to action button is front and center. Their A/B testing results found that the red button increased conversions!
3. Sites I REALLY like
- http://www.threadless.com white space a-plenty. Balances left to right, good use of thirds. No frills.
- http://printmecoupon.com great color balance with the orange font and blue backgrounds. Simple, clean, clear.
- http://99designs.com - Love! Combine this with threadless or primetimecoupons and you'll win. 99Designs has most of the elements I'm after. Excellent command of white space, good use of font weights and colors, brand prominence, visible call to action, and a vary simple navigation structure.