I need an ebook cover for a book I have written. The book title is Jumping into C++, and the focus of the book is programmers new to the C++ programming language.
I'd like to have the following:
1) PDF suitable for inclusion on the front page of the book (this would be viewed at full size--think the size that people tend to read PDFs at)
2) A 2d and 3d image of the cover, suitable for advertising the book on a website. This would be on my own web site, does not need to meet any special criteria, would be about the same size as a book image is when you view its product page on Amazon. They would probably be in png format.
3) Covers should meet or be easily adaptable to meet Amazon Kindle cover guidelines:
4) For flexibility, I'd like copies of the files in their original format (e.g. .ai or .psd) as well.
5) Ideally, I would also like the design to be of a size and resolution that I could use it for a physical cover image if I decide to publish a hard copy. A design that fits a hard copy ratio, or one that is flexible and could be cropped or given extra whitespace to change ratios, would be ideal. However my emphasis is on the ebook version and a good ebook cover is more important than having a good hard copy cover.
Content requirements and suggestions:
The cover should include the author name (Alex Allain), the title (Jumping into C++) and reference the website Cprogramming.com. (Possibly, but not necessarily, incorporating the logo, an example of which can be found at http://im.cprogramming.com/head/cprog.png).
The general color scheme of the book is blue-toned, and the font used is Calibri. (But either of these things could be changed.)
One idea for a design is some person jumping into a series of C++ keywords and expressions. (I can provide suitable keywords and expressions for this if needed.) I've also toyed a bit with someone literally jumping into an ocean. However, these are just ideas, you shouldn't feel limited by them. You're the designer!
In general, I'd like the cover to somehow represent the concept of programming and the concept of taking an exciting leap, though it doesn't need to be literal. I tend to prefer covers that are more "professional" and clean, rather than cartoon-like. I also like a clean, minimalist, heavy whitespace, eye-catching look over a more busy/crowded image.