More specific details:
- The charity started in Melbourne in 2015. You can read the story here: gofundme.com/wintercarepackage
- We deliver care packages that include
blanket, thermal gloves, thermal socks, scarf, beanie, Tim Tams and toiletries.
- every year we average about 100 packs due to the amount of donations we receive.
- To break down the charity's process so you have a better understanding of how it works.
1) we campaign to receive monetary donations
2) schools and other organisations rally to get packs made up for.
3) we source the cheapest items without compromising on quality that we can find.
4) we make up the packs
5) we load up our cars with the packs (usually happens over a 2 or 3 week period, we try to head out on the night before we get an extremely cold front come in simply because not everyone living on the streets can carry their belongings with them due to theft or inability to actually carry thing in case they are fragile or elderly)
6) Whilst handing out the packs, it's so important to engage in conversation with them as someone once taught me that loneliness plays a major part in depression, and if you're sleeping on the streets, most of the time you have no one to talk to. You may have thousands of people pass you by every day and maybe no one says hi. So I think this is a very important aspect of the winter care package.
- Weather: Although we aren't an icy climate, melbourne still gets down to about -1,-3 degrees. If you're living on the streets, the cold concrete really amplifies the cold. If it's wet as well, it's a complete nightmare!! Most of the times, our volunteers who walk the streets handing out that packs come home freezing and runny noses.
- Every year, the charity humbles me at the kindheartedness of people living on the streets. People ask us, but not everyone needs all the things in the pack, isn't it a waste? Without fail, every time we come across someone that doesn't need anything in the pack or maybe needs 1 item, they tell us, they know of someone who will need it. Nothing goes to waste.
- We aren't an all year round charity and I think that appeals to people as we are a busy society, but when winter comes around we push hard to make this happen.
- Regarding the name. We used to be called the Melbourne Winter Care Package but we want to expand to Sydney too as we have seen the homelessness increase there as well. Our organisation is now called the Winter Care Package Inc. We decided to become a non profit incorporation so that when people donate they are entitled to a tax offset which i believe is the right move so companies can donate to us without the worry of tax being an issue.
I have attached a screenshot of our website that hasn't launched
Here is out instagram https://www.instagram.com/wintercarepackage/
Our Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/wintercarepackage/
Our logo was just a picture with some text on it that I made up. I'm not sure if you want to keep the blue or not I will leave that decision to the expert.. you! :)
I hope this information helps. I don't know what else to write in here but i look forward to seeing what designs you can come up with.
To all the designers who participate I thank you for taking this task!