Design a Logo for TheWilmingtonSearch.com, an online business journal that covers the real estate market in Wilmington, NC. The site is shifting from a blog format to more of an online magazine look. The Logo will be used as the header of the new site.
UPDATE BRIEFING | May 6, 2009 | 8:30pm EST
I want to touch on Colors, Typeface, Graphic, Layout, Shapes.
Here are the colors I would like to keep to: http://colorschemedesigner.com/#3K21TlOszw0w0
Black and greys are welcome as well. But stay away from light greysthat will not stand out, since the site's background is white.
I have seen a lot of simple clean designs that have kept to the briefing below. I would like to give you the designer a creative license to come up with a combination of types that work. I would even welcome some script, as long as it is very easy to read.
These are the elements that I would like to see: Houses, Market Graphs (line and bar charts), reporting oriented graphics (like type writer or computer). Here is my thinking. The water doesn't seem to be working and if someone knows Wilmington, the water is a given. (the only exception is flipflop's design.) So, I would like to focus in on elements that relate to the tagline: "Wilmington's Online Real Estate Journal". For Journal, think of business journals that are trend reporting publications. TWS is also online, so computer related graphs. Lastly, I am open to icons involving a "W" or "TWS".
I like both the linear and stacked layouts. I like balance. I want the decisions on placement of words and graphics to be intelligently placed in relation to the overall flow of the design.
I like the squares and circles. For squares and rectangles, minimal is important. I feel like less is more when it comes to using shapes (for framing or blocks behind .com, etc.). I like damaky_jr creative use of blocks.
END OF UPDATE BRIEFING | May 6, 2009 | 8:30pm EST
I want the font to be bold, clean, slightly clever, uncluttered, and welcoming. I want the visitors eye to be drawn to the logo.
This site will be the first of several (around 10) related sites (so there is a potential for future design work for the winner). So the ability to gain a mind share with this logo as the foundational brand is very important.
Our target audience is affluent homebuyers. Wilmington NC is surounded by many beaches and water communities. It is a coastal city. 70 - 80% of the sites content focuses on the luxury and waterfront communities. So the font should appeal to a sophisticated audience.
A GRAPHIC ICON IS OPTIONAL. The three elements that I have in mind are water, coastal cottages or bungalows, and a live oak with hanging spanish moss. If the graphic element does not seem to be working, I will quickly let you know.
- The font/type to be bold, clean, slightly clever, classy, sophisticated, modern, uncluttered, welcoming.
- Prefer Sans-serif typeface over serif but am open to creative twists.
- Logotype is more important than an icon
- If using color, incorporate hues of blue taken from http://TheWilmingtonSearch.com or hues that would complement those colors
- ".com" should be smaller but bold in comparison to TheWilmingtonSearch. Would like ".com" placed below TheWilmingtonSearch
- Add Tagline: Wilmington's Online Real Estate Journal
- IF DESIGNER ATTEMPTS GRAPHIC ICON (which is not required) Graphic icon utilizing one or more of these three elements: water, water front homes, and a live oak with hanging spanish moss. Other creative ideas are welcome! Please keep Southern US and waterfront homes in mind with additional ideas.
- To use the Logo in multiple graphic layouts: Thus, include a (1) Version with Color; (2) Black Version; (3) White on Black; (4)The Graphic stand alone [this step can be reserved for those who have a 4 star rating or better.
- Dominant or bright colors.
- Clip Art houses, magnifying glass, city scapes.
- Serif typeface that resemble Times Roman
- Fonts that can be easily downloaded from free font sites and microsoft office (can do that myself).