In order to provide a good brief, I need to break provide
1) Background Information
2) Company Objectives
3) Then provide the brief
1) Background information
We are a new Craft Distillery , situated right in the Heart of Niagara Falls, Canada and we are creating a SINGLE MALT CANADIAN WHISKY representing NIAGARA FALLS
a) Background information on Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls is Canada's Number 1 tourist attraction with over 20m tourists descending per year on the centuries old natural phenomenon.
It is noted as a Natural Wonder of the Earth, and the city of Niagara Falls are creating a marketing campaign to have Niagara Falls recognized 8th Natural Wonder of the World.
It is a landmark noted for is HISTORY, NATURAL BEAUTY, ENERGY, and SCALE.
Any brands that chooses to reference Niagara Falls needs to represent these attributes within the brand design
b) Background information on Canadian Whisky
Canadian whisky has to be aged for 3 years in barrels before it is known as a whisky. Anything sold or drunk before 3 years, the product is classified as an Alcoholic Spirit
Ageing is only quantified when it the liquid is in a barrel and not a bottle. What I mean here, is that any product that is in a barrel is ALWAYS ageing, as the barrel changes the colour and taste. However, a product in a bottle has stopped ageing..... for example, you cant claim an 8 year old Scotch whisky to be 9 years old if you have kept it in a bottle for a year.
And whisky in Canada is NOT spelled with an "e". Canadian Whisky spelling is different to American Whiskey.
2) Company Objectives
We are owners of Niagara Falls Craft Distillers, and it is our intention to put the city of Niagara Falls on the bottles of whisky drinkers all over North America.
We are firmly committed to delivering the HIGHEST QUALITY of all liquids at ALL TIME
As such, the brand we are creating is a SINGLE MALT WHISKY. However, we are going to sell to customers a 3L barrel with the spirit ageing in the min barrel.
Our product is therefore called a "Barrel Ageing Canadian Spirit"
3) The brief
We want the designer to create a brand design that can be included onto a small carton that ships the barrel. I have included images and dimensions of the box below.
This is a high quality, luxury product for an affluent target market, which is
- Predominantly male. Aged 30+, educated, high disposable income
- They are city dwellers, drink Scotch single malts and high quality American Whiskey's. Similar brands for these people will be Makers Mark, High West, Dalwhinnie, etc.
- They purchase for self consumption as well as their colleagues, clients, boss and special friends. A mini barrel is very important gifting to them !
We want our compaany logo (Niagara Falls Craft Distillers) on the design please.
We need to leave space for a bar code and other mandatories
We want a design that has
- CLEAN (lines)
- Obviously from Niagara Falls, but not cliche images
- Represents our high quality production equipment (see attached)
- Clean, sophisticated product story (see below) on the side panel
- Very subtle Scottish reference points around the "8th wonder" branding
With regards to branding the panels, we RECOMMEND the following
1) Front panel and top panel celebrates the brand design, and logo
2) One of the side panels has a space for a purchase to write a special message, ie
a) Date barrelled
b) Date bought
c) Gift Message
3) The other side panel to include the following texts
“This barrel was filled on January 21st 2017. Legally this product is not a whisky until February 2020. However, the white spirit ageing in this barrel is ageing and changing every day.
The smaller the barrel, the quicker the contents will age and mellow. Therefore, if you cannot wait until Feb 2020, we recommend you start to sip, savour and enjoy from July 2017. At this point, the colour will be a deep golden hue, the flavours will begin to burst – especially the caramel, smoke and spice – and the finish will be bold and long.
Enjoyed best in a cold glass with a splash of ice cold water"