Just a few guidelines:
* Please avoid comedy/tragedy masks unless you have something VERY clever. This image is very played-out when indicating theatre.
* Sans fonts work better for us than Serifed fonts
* Also avoid Hamlet "skulls" and references to any specific work of theatre/live performance (Phantom of the Opera and its ilk) or playwrights (Shakespeare, for example).
* We are looking for an "ideal form" for theatre for the graphic. Simple but communicative of the performing arts.
* Eventually, we will have a tagline, so consider that one will need to be added at a future date.
* We need some form of "iconic image" coming out of this be it a character or an image.
* The design should not need be too "on the nose". Cleverness and subtlety are valued.
* Generally avoiding "busy-ness" is good. We are looking for something simple, elegant, and clever.
Some adjectives to describe the company:
Fresh, Fun, Playful, Edgy, Creative, Energetic
We've lots of experience working with designers, so expect substantive feedback and guidance as the contest progresses.
Thanks for your interest and please message us with any questions you may have. We will turn around queries rapidly.