We need an icon that will appear on iTunes and in App store for our travel guide for 10 best places (things to do) in Barcelona.
Ideally, as we picture it ourselves, the icon would contain words "Top 10" and "Barcelona" or "BCN" (we would prefer having "BCN" rather than the full word "Barcelona") on the icon. We've researched what icons other iPhone applications have, and our favorite (by far) is an icon of the Barcelona Travel Guide by Lonely Planet. The colors are very nice (we are thinking about very calm colors that would please an eye of the viewer); at the same time it's very stylish and professional; it also promotes the Lonely Planet brand, because they use similar icons for other cities. Our brand are the words "Top 10" and we would like them to be promoted as well. We will also create iPhone applications for other cities, so we wanted to have an icon that would lately be adopted to other cities. Lonely planet does it nicely by putting different letters for different cities, for example, BCN for Barcelona, LON for London, PAR for Paris, etc. Also, they use attractions of the particular city as a background (which is different for every city). We would also want to have something like that (kind of a skyline of Barcelona as a background).
The colors we don't like: red, yellow, light blue, rose, lite green, orange, purple.
To also give you an idea of iPhone icons that we don't like, we've made a list below (those are examples):
- mTrip travel guides (too boring, though it creates a consistent brand, and we would like to create a consistent brand for all our future iPhone travel applications for other cities);
- World Travel Guides (very colorful);
- Tripwolf (difficult to relate it to travel);
- TimeOut Barcelona (nice, creates a consistent brand, but still too boring);
- citiyscouter GmbH Barcelona travel (we don't like the colors, and the skyline is very amateurish);
- Triposo (they need to strengthen the colors on the icon; plus it's difficult to get the message from the icon);
- Barcelona: DK Top 10 (also very boring, though creates a consistent brand for all their guides);
- Barcelona Pocket Guide (also don't like the colors, and don't get the message of the icon).
The above are examples of what we would not like to see as our icon. You can find them by searching in the App Store.
At the same time, we also encourage creativity. So, if you have a particular idea in mind and feel strongly about it, feel free to disregard all the rules above and go with it.