Design Brief for Paperback Novel
LIFE SONG by CHRISTINE M KNIGHT
'Could Mavis live the rest of her life as she'd been living? She couldn't, not now she'd glimpsed another world, fleeting though that vision had been.'
It takes a bold woman to choose the path less travelled.
Mavis was born to be a songbird. Her parents named her after one, a bird with a distinctive song worthy of poetry. With her wings clipped by circumstance, Mavis spent six years of her life grounded and her dream of soaring flight almost forgotten. After a time of making do, Mavis unexpectedly discovers that she has a choice: accept a life that is 'ordinary' or strive to rise above her circumstance, realise her potential, and be amongst the one percent that shine.
It is a long way to the top in the music industry and more than a name needs to be changed in order to succeed. It is a gruelling challenge with exhausting demands and subtle traps for the uninitiated. Can Mavis make it? Will she be able to navigate her path between singing the music that she was born to score and being moulded by music industry expectations? Can she build a better life for herself and her son? Can she have 'it' all?
Set between 1996-1998 in Australia, ‘Life Song’ explores the tug-of-wars that come with being a woman, mother, daughter, performer, and the ways individuals and the community shape our realities. It is set against the backdrop of the vibrant Australian live-music scene and a coastal town south of Sydney. 'Life Song' offers genuine insight into the human condition. The reader shares the hard yards of life as well as the rush, exhilaration, and tumult of being on stage.
FULL COVER DESIGN
• This is Women's Fiction - not Chic Lit or Romance
• Vivid colours in a clean, possibly symbolic design
• Possibly a textured finish to suggest the layers of the story
• Standout and visually compelling - not cliché
• Front, spine, and back cover
• Include back cover blurb - first 4 paragraphs of the brief (203 words) - fitted into the top 4 1/2 in of the back cover
• remaining space left on the back cover for review snippets, barcode, and publisher's logo
• Spine information: title, author name, relevant icon image, and publisher's logo (1/2 in x 3/8 in)
• Book size: 6in x 9in (15.24 x 22.86 cm)
• Spine: approximately 7/8 in (2.22 cm)
<p class="MsoNormal">The image of mother and child by Mikael Vojinovic, French Photographer, conveys the emotion and conflict of a single parent. It is a major factor in'Life Song' and shapes Mavis' decisions in life. So a design should touch on that somehow. It should make a connection with that emotion and/or make the link between music being the way out of Mavis' poverty but also another stress factor on her given she has the child.